Doctor of Education
- Foundations of Leadership
- Methods of Inquiry
- Applied Analysis
- Advanced Research
- Facility Planning & Usage
- Instructional Leadership
- Leadership Ethics
- Leader’s Role in Organizational Dynamics
- Counselor-Based School Leadership
The admission process for the Doctor of Education in Educational Leadership degrees is designed to admit the highest quality professional educators and business leaders who desire to contribute to their respective fields of work. Applicants to the specialist or doctoral programs must produce a comprehensive Admissions Portfolio, including both qualitative and quantitative measures, which is used to assess personal characteristics, academic skills, communication skills, and leadership ability.
The admission portfolio must contain the following items:
- Completed Application Form;
- Completed Concentration Declaration
- Documentation and description of a record of a minimum of two (2) years of successful administrative experience in education, or management;
- Provide two (2) character references.
- A letter of reference from a supervisor or other person familiar with the applicant’s academic ability and professional performance (specific examples of leadership ability and problem-solving skills should be cited);
- A current resume that includes work experience, educational background, professional experience, professional activities, honors received, professional publications or presentations, community service, and other relevant information relating to the applicant’s leadership background;
- A thesis or major research paper, minimum at master’s level, for review that demonstrates the applicant’s professional writing ability at the graduate level;
- Official transcripts from all graduate institutions of study
At OCU, professors were always available to the students through email, telephone, and face to face meetings to answer any question related to the program. The professors all have doctoral degrees which modeled to me that they know exactly what they were advising when it was related to how to accomplish each goal of the program. They were knowledgeable about the content being taught, always positive and had a great sense of humor.
The strengths of the doctoral program at OCU is the friendliness of staff and willingness of faculty/staff to help.
The professors are knowledgeable and flexible simultaneously. They possess both professional and life experiences, that provide the requisite knowledge to effectively guide the students. This is perhaps why most OCU professors give a remarkable amount of access to their students and are very personable in their approach. Also, the structure of the program, online and traditional format, provide the balance necessary to give students the full educational experience of being a doctoral candidate. While online is convenient, it is nice to know that the summer will bring face-to face interactions with staff and the cohort.
As educators, we always have the goal of producing life-long learners; it is important to me as a professional to be a positive role model in this regard. I have had an advanced degree as an important personal goal for my entire adult life and made a promise to my parents and my kids to finish it through to completion. Being the superintendent of a small school district, I am in charge of everything. The time commitment is huge, and the job comes with a great deal of responsibility. Oakland City University has been great to work with and the professors have been extremely thoughtful in their approach in allowing me great flexibility to complete my degree. I am thankful to be attending a university where the philosophy is based on working with students in their own individual situations. I needed this flexibility, and the people at OCU cared enough to provide it.
The Oakland City University program provides me with the flexibility I need in order to proactively and aggressively meet the challenges of multiple responsibilities. Further, the program has proven to provide me with the rigor and relevance I believe is needed to successfully prepare for future challenges
The Doctoral program at OCU is personalized, and have a willingness to accept pass coursework, they offer flexibility to accommodate working professionals. Professors are willing to work through challenges of coursework and provide the extra time to explain and provide feedback. They offer a very positive approach to learning. The Doctoral Program at OCU greatest strength is their willingness to accommodate and work with very busy school administrators is the greatest single strength.