Honors courses mine more educational value from the work that is assigned by providing a richly interactive environment in which students engage in discussion, debate, and critical analysis and synthesis of ideas. Honors courses provide opportunities for students to demonstrate the ability to apply concepts and principles in new situations, recognize unstated assumptions, make accurate judgments about the value of a work and the suitability of evidence to support ideas. Lastly, honors courses develop students’ effectiveness in both oral and written communication.
To be considered for unconditional admission to the Honors Program, students must meet one the following requirements:
- Freshman – Entering Freshman applicants must meet all requirements for admission to Oakland City University and must score a composite of 22 or above on the ACT or a composite of 1100 or above on the SAT.
- Full-time OCU students who have completed at least 30 semester hours with a 3.25 cumulative GPA may apply to participate in the Honors Program.
Students within the Honors Program must meet the following requirements to maintain membership in and graduate from the Honors Program:
- Students must maintain a 3.25 cumulative GPA and full-time status.
- Students must successfully complete five (5) courses for Honors credit, including one Honors Capstone contract added to a 300- or 400-level class in their major or minor.
- Students must earn at least three (3) activity points each semester by participating in a scholarly or service-oriented events.
- Students must complete a public service project within the University or the community.
- Students must complete an Internship, Practicum, or experiential learning experience related to the student’s major.
Courses Available for Earning Honors Credit
School of Business
- BUS232 Business Economics in the Global Environment
- BUS285 Business Law and Ethics
- HRM301 Intro to Human Resource Management
- MGT202 Work/Life Management
- MGT430 Organizational Behavior
- MGT438 Leadership & Management
- MGT425 Business Capstone
School of Arts and Sciences
- BIO320 Cell & Molecular Biology
- BIO322 Principles of Human Anatomy & Physiology II
- BIO441 Topics in Environmental Science
- BIO450 Biology Internship
- CJ330 Report Writing for Criminal Justice
- CHEM315 Biochemistry
- HIS113 US History to 1877
- ENG210 Intro to British Literature
- ENG215 Intro to American Literature
- HIS123 US History since 1877
- HIS213 Western Civilization to 1600
- HIS223 Western Civilization since 1600
- HIS233 Non-Western Civilizations
- HIS313 American Revolution
- HIS333 Reformation Europe
- HIS403 Civil War
- HIS463 Studies in History – History of American Christianity
Chapman School of Religious Studies
- CH401 General Baptist Heritage
- CH445 Studies in Church History: The Holocaust and the Christian World
School of Education
- EDUC213 Developmental Psychology
- EDUC260 Reading Across the Content
- EDUC295 Differentiated Instruction
- EDUC450 Education Capstone
The Honors Council welcomes suggestions for additional honors-available courses! Please contact Dr. Sarah Wilson at firstname.lastname@example.org if there is a class you’d like to take for honors credit that is not currently listed.
For more information about Oakland City University’s Honors Program, please contact Dr. Sarah Wilson at email@example.com.