Students walking through campus holding books
Campus Safety

Campus Safety

In Case of Emergency, Dial 911.

For  General Campus Non-Emergency Security Issues, call 812-749-1421 during regular office hours.

At Oakland City University, the Campus Safety & Security we are committed to providing a safe and secure environment for every member of the campus community.  

The safety of our community at Oakland City University is monitored jointly by the Office of Student Life, Residence Life, and Security.  The Director of Student Life oversees the safety of all Oakland City University students, particularly while students are on the University main campus and ensures that security policies are enforced.  The Director of Student Life, Director of University Housing, Residence Hall Directors, and Resident Assistants are responsible for maintaining a secure living environment for residents and reporting any criminal activity to the appropriate authorities.  Campus security works closely with Oakland City Police Department, our local law enforcement personnel, to ensure students have a happy and safe experience.

Although voluntary, the University encourages anyone with disabilities to notify the appropriate university personnel of any need in planning for emergencies. This includes but is not limited to students and guests notifying the Office for Student Life and faculty or staff notifying the Human Resources Office.

Please keep the following guidelines in mind during emergency situations:

  • Be aware of your surroundings.
  • Be positive and realistic.
  • Recognize that you may be on your own for part of the time during an emergency.
  • Recognize that your actions can and will make a difference.

Related Links:

Other Emergency Contacts 

Campus Oakland City Gibson County

Campus Security

812-664-7286 or 



(Fire, Police, Medical)


Sheriff's Office 


Student Life*




Health Department 


Campus Minister*

(812) 749-1298

Police Non-Emergency


Officer on Call


Human Resources*


Fire Non-Emergency


Gibson General Hospital



Deaconess Clinic

(across from Tichenor Center)

1808 Sherman Drive

Princeton, IN 47670

*during office hours

National Services    
Department of Homeland Security  800-237-3239 National Weather Service Recorded Forecast  719-573-6846 Poison Control 800-222-1222


Emergency Information for Parents

As an extended part of the Oakland City University (OCU) family, there are times you may seek assistance from the Office for Student Life. This may range from academic concerns to personal and physical/mental health issues. You are an integral part of your student's experience at OCU, and the Office for Student Life can help in navigating university resources.

Student Confidentiality

While OCU wishes to assist families in times of concern, our first priority must be to our students. The Office for Student Life cannot violate confidentiality or provide information restricted by the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). FERPA is a Federal law that protects the privacy of student educational records and gives students (over the age of 18 or attending an institution of higher education) the right to access and correct their records. Other than directory information, information contained in the educational records cannot be shared without the student's written consent.

Frequently Asked Questions

What do I do if I cannot contact my student?

Between academic obligations, extracurricular activities, and social engagements, our students are very busy and getting them to call family can often be difficult. If you have not been able to reach your student for a significant period of time, it may be a sign of a more serious problem. If you believe your student may be missing or in distress, please contact the Office for Student Life immediately — 812-749-1421 Mon-Fri 8am-4:30.  After hours call Campus Security at 812-664-7486 or 812-664-8521. 

What do I do if my student is seriously ill or injured?

The Office for Student Life can provide professors and on-campus supervisors with electronic or written letters notifying them of your student's absence. Please note, our office does require supporting documentation (e.g., a doctor's note or letter from primary care provider) to verify your student's illness or injury. Most faculty are understanding of absences due to illness and injury, but the degree to which they can be flexible is entirely at their discretion.

In cases where the illness or injury requires a significant number of absences from classes, medical withdrawal or cancellation of registration may be necessary. Please contact the Office for Student Life if this is necessary.

What do I do if there is a death in the family?

Most faculty and staff are understanding of absences due to family emergencies. The Office for Campus Life can provide professors and supervisors with electronic or written letters notifying them of your student's absence. Please note, our office does require supporting documentation (e.g., obituary, funeral announcement) to verify your student's absence. The degree to which faculty can be flexible is entirely at their discretion.