Students sitting in a classroom at OCU


The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is your application for financial aid. 

This includes institutional, federal, and state financial assistance.  Completing and submitting the FAFSA is free and quick.  The Department of Education uses information submitted on your FAFSA to determine federal loan and grant eligibility.  The State of Indiana uses FAFSA information to determine state grant eligibility.  Oakland City University uses FAFSA information to determine need based institutional grant amounts. 

Please Note:  Oakland City University requires any student receiving institutional aid to complete a FAFSA to continue to receive institutional funds.

The fastest and easiest way to complete your FAFSA is on the web at Please use Title IV Federal School Code 001824 to send your FAFSA information to Oakland City University. 

The FAFSA asks for information about you and about your financial situation.  Depending on your circumstances, you may need the following information or documents as you fill out the FAFSA:

  • Your social security number (it is very important that you enter it correctly on the FAFSA)
  • You parents’ social security numbers if you are a dependent student
  • Your driver’s license number if you have one
  • Your Alien Registration Number if you are not a US citizen
  • Federal tax information or tax returns including IRS W-2 information, for you (and your spouse, if you are married), and for your parents if you are a dependent student:
    • IRS 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ
    • Foreign tax return and/or
    • Tax return for Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the US Virgin Islands, the Marshall Islands, the Federal States of Micronesia, or Palau
  • Records of your untaxed income, such as child support received, interest income, and veterans noneducation benefits, for you, and for your parents if you are a dependent student. 
  • Information on cash, savings and checking account balances; investments, including stocks and bonds and real estate but not including the home in which you live; and business and farm assets for you, and for your parents if you are a dependent student.

If you need help filling out the FAFSA:

  • Main Campus students can contact the Financial Aid Office for an appointment for one-on-one assistance or help over the phone at 812.749.1224; Non-traditional students can contact the Non-Traditional Financial Aid Office for an appointment for one-on-one assistance or help over the phone at 812.749.1437.
  • Chat with live technical support staff by clicking the “Help” icon with the big question mark at the top of any FAFSA on the Web entry page,
  • Read the “Help and Hints” located on the right side of any FAFSA of the Web entry page.
  • Click “Need Help?” at the bottom of any FAFSA on the Web entry page.

Once you have signed and submitted a valid FAFSA, your information is sent to the Department of Education for processing.  Once your FAFSA has processed your information will be shared with the colleges and/or career schools that you listed on the application. If you are an Indiana resident, your information will also be shared with the Indiana Commission for Higher Education. The Financial Aid Office will use your information to figure out how much financial assistance you will be able to receive. 

The Office of Federal Student Aid at the US Department of Education will send you a Student Aid Report (SAR).  This is a summary of the FAFSA information that you submitted.  You should receive the SAR within three days to three weeks of submitting your FAFSA.  It is very important to look over the SAR information to make sure you didn’t make a mistake.  If you find that you need to make corrections log back on to  Once the corrections have been made your information will be resent to the schools you selected on the FAFSA and you will receive an updated SAR. 

Once the Financial Aid Office receives your FAFSA information it will be reviewed for eligibility and a financial aid award letter will be issued. 

Please note that not all programs at Oakland City University qualify for financial assistance.