Applying for an F1 Visa
To apply for an F-1 visa, please contact your nearest U.S. Embassy. Or go online to http://travel.state.gov/visa Be sure to ask which documents are needed for the appointment as each embassy may ask for additional items. Following are a sample list of questions that may be asked at your interview.
- Why do you want to study in the United States
- Why have you chosen this particular major to study
- What career will you try to have when you return to your home country?
- Why did you select Oakland City University? (cost, scholarship, location, etc.)
Here are a couple of tips for your interview:
- Make sure you can prove you have enough finances to cover your expenses in the United States. For example, if your parents own a business or if they own property then take the deeds to the interview.
- It is very important that the interviewer believes that you fully intend to return to your home country and not stay in the U.S.
- Do not talk about working in the U.S. Employment is not allowed off campus unless it is required by a class for credit, such as an internship.
- Do not mention any family ties in the United States unless you are asked.
- Always be very truthful.