Psychology Club to Host Suicide Prevention WeekNovember 6, 2012 at 10:27 AM
The Oakland City University Psychology Club is hosting Suicide Prevention Events the week of November 12th, 2012.
Schedule of Events
Monday: Yellow Ribbon Campaign Students will pass out little yellow ribbons outside cafeteria at lunch and tie yellow ribbons around tree trunks on campus.
Tuesday: Question Persuade Refer (QPR Workshop) hosted by Cassidy Nalley- Presentation
- Cornwell Reed Building, Time: 2-4 pm
- “Question Persuade Refer”- Workshop designed to help you help someone who may be considering suicide. The QPR workshop will address three life-saving skills that everyone needs to know: How to “Question” a person about suicide, how to “Persuade” the person to get help, and how to “Refer” the person to the appropriate resources.
- QPR is not intended to be a form of counseling. It is intended to offer hope through positive action and teach those in a position to recognize warning signs, clues, and suicidal communications of people in trouble to act and prevent possible tragedy.
Wednesday: Grim Reaper Activity
- Tessa Lynch from Psych Club will be dressing up in our outfit which is a black cloak, mask, gloves, and glowing eyes. She will get the statistics for how many people commit suicide per x amount of time and give them a necklace to represent how many people are actually affected by suicide. Students will be encouraged to recognize the necklaces of their peers at lunch or dinner.
- We will ask for faculty and staff to help support the event by allowing students to come into their classroom/office (this will be prearranged with those who are interested in participating)
Thursday: Balloon Release Memorial (memorial for students who know people who have committed suicide, attempted, have tried themselves, etc. can write a letter on the balloon if desired.
- Location: Grassy Knoll Area
- Time: 4 pm
- Pass Out Flyers advertising Saturday November 17th as International Survivors of Suicide Day