Students are selected for verification through the Central Processing Center. This process is verifying the information that you provided on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Financial aid will not be awarded until this process is completed.
Follow these steps to complete this Verification Process:
- Every student who is being verified must complete the Verification Worksheet:
- If you are a dependent student you need to complete the Dependent Verification Worksheet. Print this form, complete and mail or fax it to the Financial Aid Office at Oakland City University.
- If you are an independent student you need to complete the Independent Verification Worksheet. Print this form, complete and mail or fax it to the Financial Aid Office at Oakland City University.
The determination of whether you are dependent or independent is how you completed the FAFSA.
- If you and parents filed a tax return and used the IRS Retrieval Tool within the FAFSA you only need to complete the Verification Worksheet.
- If you and parents did not use the IRS Retrieval Tool within the FAFSA you can go back into the FAFSA, click on “corrections” and proceed to the income section of the FAFSA. Follow these steps:
- Go to the student and or parent financial information.
- Answer the “filing status” as “already completed”.
- The next questions answer accordingly. You will then be given the link to the IRS.
- Click on the link to the IRS and follow the instructions.
- If you are unable to use the IRS Retrieval Tool in the FAFSA you will need to ask the IRS for a transcript of your taxes. We will need a transcript for both the parent and the student. The IRS link for a transcript is: http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=232168,00.html or you can call 800-429-1040.
For assistance with this process you may contact the Financial Aid Office.