Verification is a random, quality-control process used by the US Department of Education to verify the accuracy of information submitted on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Verification is a manual process completed by the Financial Aid Office and requires a minimum of 2 weeks to complete. Financial aid will not be officially awarded or processed until the verification process is complete and all discrepancies have been resolved. Once all documents have been received, your federal application will be checked for accuracy. If corrections are necessary, your application will be submitted the U.S. Department of Education for reprocessing. This may result in changes in your eligibility. If your financial aid award changes you will be notified in a revised award letter.
All students who are selected for verification must complete the Verification Worksheet provided by the Financial Aid Office. Please contact the Financial Aid Office at firstname.lastname@example.org to request the appropriate Verification Worksheet. Each student selected will be notified regarding additional information required to complete the verification process.
You may be required to request a tax return transcript from the IRS as part of the verification process. A tax transcript may be requested in one of the following ways:
- Use the IRS link, http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Order-a-Transcript.
- Contact by the IRS by phone at 1-800-429-1040.
- Complete IRS Form 4506-T-EZ to have your transcript sent directly to Oakland City University.
Submit required documents to the Financial Aid Office within 10 days of your notice:
- Fax all completed forms to our confidential fax (812) 749-1438.
- Mail to: Financial Aid Office, 138 North Lucretia Street, Oakland City, IN 47660-1038
- Drop off paper work at the Financial Aid offices located in the James W. Murray Center, Room 207.
For additional assistance with the verification process please contact the Financial Aid Office at email@example.com or 812.749.1224.