Skip Navigation


  1. For most federal and state student aid, you must have financial need. Unsubsidized loans and parent loans are exceptions.
  2. You must be a United States citizen or an eligible non-citizen.
  3. You must have a high school diploma or GED.
  4. You must have a valid Social Security number. Your name on financial aid applications must exactly match the name on your Social Security card.
  5. You must make satisfactory academic progress (SAP).
  6. You must register with the Selective Service, if required. If you are a male age 18 through 25 who has not yet registered with Selective Service, you can register at or you can give Selective Service permission to register you by checking a box on the FAFSA.
  7. You must sign the FAFSA statement certifying that you are not in default on a federal student loan and that you do not owe money on a federal student grant.
  8. You must be admitted to an eligible program as a regular student working toward a degree. (You may not receive aid if you are enrolled as a guest student.)

Academic Standards required for Financial Aid Recipients:
Students who receive federal or state financial assistance (including student and/or parent loans) are required to make satisfactory progress toward the completion of their degree. Satisfactory progress is measured by the number of credits successfully completed (academic progress) each year and students' cumulative grade point average after each semester.  In addition, students are limited to 125 percent of the published timeframe for their degree. This policy sets the minimum standards for evaluating satisfactory academic progress for federal and state financial assistance. State Grant programs are an exception to the 125 percent rule, their programs are limited to 8 semesters.

Academic Progress —
Academic progress for financial assistance is based on the number of credit hours completed each academic year. Students must complete 80% of the hours they attempt per academic year. Students have the summer semester to make up the progress required. If a student has extenuating circumstances, a letter of appeal should be addressed to the Financial Aid Office.

Cumulative Grade Point Average —
Financial Aid recipients are required to maintain the minimum grade point average as they progress toward the achievement of their degree. The Cumulative GP is based on the University’s academic standards found in the University’s Catalog. The Registrar’s Office determines the GPA at the end of each semester. Students who fall below “Good Academic Standing” are placed on Academic Probation. A student is allowed one semester to bring their GPA back up to the required GPA. If the student is placed on Academic Probation a second semester consecutively the students loses their financial aid until the GPA requirement is met.

Penalties for Drug Law Violations —
A federal or state drug conviction can disqualify a student for FSA funds. Convictions only count if they were for an offense that occurred during a period of enrollment for which the student was receiving Title IV aid. If a student was convicted of both possessing and selling illegal drugs and the periods of ineligibility are different, the student will be ineligible for the longer period.

Forms  |  Site Map  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy