School of Business
Students pursuing the programs of study in the School of Business develop competencies to equip them for graduate school and for careers in many fields, including accounting, human resources, general management, marketing, and teaching.
In addition, the business professional today must be equipped to deal with the business enterprise on a global scale. Working with colleagues in a "team-oriented" environment is a skill which our students learn in our competency-based programs. A variety of degree options and specializations are available. A primary objective of the faculty in the School of Business is to guide, mentor, and encourage students so that they gain the capacity to think and act critically.
Personal computers are utilized in teaching computer applications. Opportunities are available for students to complete internships in business and industry. Oakland City University has received specialized accreditation for its business programs through the International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education (IACBE), located in Olathe, Kansas.
The School of Business is accredited by the International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education (IACBE). The mission of the IACBE is to promote and recognize excellence in business education in institutions of higher education worldwide, at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, through the specialized accreditation of business programs. The vision of the IACBE is to be a leader in mission-driven and outcomes-based programmatic accreditation and to be the business program accrediting body of choice for teaching-oriented institutions of higher education. Accreditation provides value added to your degree program, and is important to employers in business and industry.
The business programs in the following degrees are accredited by the IACBE:
- Associate of Science, Business Administration
- Associate of Science, Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with the following concentrations:
- Human Resource Management
- Criminal Justice
- Sports Administration
- Master of Business Administration
Mission of the School of Business
The School of Business at Oakland City University is a learning community dedicated to:
- Academic excellence, lifelong learning, and the enhancement of each person’s intellectual development
- The promotion of Christian ethical and moral values, especially in the business community
- The promotion of community service through positive leadership
- The preparation of graduates to successfully meet the needs of business and industry
- The development of skills necessary for each individual to enhance his or her own personal and professional growth
Objectives of the School of Business
The objectives of the School of Business are as follows:
- To provide students with an understanding of the nature of society and to assist them in developing a social philosophy, which is necessary for responsible citizenship.
- To familiarize students with the American economic system and the major functional areas of business.
- To afford students the opportunity to develop and to increase their capacity for analysis, evaluation, and strategic implementation of concepts.
- To provide instruction within the context of a Christian institution and a value-centered curriculum.