School of Arts and Sciences
The School of Arts and Sciences offers associate and baccalaureate degrees. Courses in the arts and sciences help students understand themselves and their environments, to perceive relationships among the many kinds of knowledge, and to achieve proficiency in one or more concentrated areas of study relating to the student's career choices. Find out more about the faculty & staff of the School of Arts and Sciences.
Most of the General Studies core courses that are required for all degrees are taught in the School of Arts and Sciences. The General Studies curriculum is designed to prepare students to think logically, communicate clearly, solve problems, clarify values, function within a social institution, use science and technology, and appreciate art.
The School of Arts and Sciences is a learning/teaching community dedicated to OCU's mission: Oakland City University is a Christian faith-based learning community dedicated to the enhancement of intellectual, spiritual, physical, and social development for positive leadership.
The objectives of the School of Arts and Sciences are to…
- Provide a foundation in the humanities and sciences
- Provide aesthetic awareness
- Develop the ability to distinguish between objective and subjective approaches to methods of reasoning
- Develop an understanding of the uses of modern technology in the arts and sciences
- Provide a basis for advanced study
- Provide instruction within the context of a Christian university and a value-centered curriculum
The School of Arts & Sciences is the home of the Dunn Art Gallery and JLAS (Journal for Liberal Arts & Sciences). You can puruse the JLAS Archives, find out about the JLAS Staff and how to Submit Your Articles.
Degrees in the School of Arts & Sciences
- Creative Writing
- Social Science
- Art - Graphic Design, Digital Media, Web Design
- Art - Studio, Photography
- Communications - focus in Graphic Design
- Communications - focus in Journalism
- Communications - focus in Public Relations
- Communications - focus in Web Design
- General Education
- Worship Arts
Bachelor of Science